Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sitting Here, Thinking About Food

I really like Melissa McCarthy. Not only is she talented and funny, she's freaking adorable! As a feminist, I'm happy to see genuinely funny women being successful in comedy. As a person who thinks talent trumps physicality, I love to see larger people succeeding in a business that used to be boring and irritating because it was full of traditionally "attractive" people who couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. I realize, and am thrilled, that Melissa McCarthy is not the only larger lady who is gaining success. I can't figure out where in the Hell Adele was hiding for so long, but man am I glad she made an appearance. Rebel Wilson? Hilarious. Tess Munster? Oh, how I love Tess Munster. That girl is gorgeous and she rocks her body. If you folks aren't familiar with her, look her up. She is somebody you should all definitely be aware of. Have you seen Roseanne lately? I know she was known for portraying a semi-"white trash" character, but when I see her now, all I can think is "Damn, is that one classy looking lady!" I have always found her to be hilarious - if you haven't read her autobiography, go get it! Catherine Tate has always given me some serious hair envy while making me roll on the floor laughing. And sometimes bawl like a baby, depending on the work. And she may be the ultimate proof that physicality and talent have no relation on each other. She's slimmed down, but is exactly as talented and funny as before. No more, no less. I have *the biggest* celebrity crush on James Corden, because, seriously, go try to find a cuter man than James Corden. But I'm not talking about men right now.

Sorry, had to take a "look at photos of James Corden" break. *Dreamy Sigh*

So, if I'm not blathering about James Corden, what is the point of this? The point is, as much as I love that Melissa McCarthy is having success in all of her adorable funniness, she kind of pisses me off with the work she accepts. I just saw a commercial for the new movie she's in, and oh, look, there's the fat girl, talking about food, and how she's going to eat all of the food. Because, y'know, that's all us fat girls do. If we're not sitting at home alone, eating food, we're sure talking about food! I love her on Mike and Molly, where she plays an actual person with a job, a boyfriend/fiance/husband, friends, dreams, aspirations, etc., etc. And I acknowledge that TV allows for more depth of character than movies do - that's one of the reasons I prefer TV to movies. But here's the thing about fat girls: we're people. We have jobs, partners, friends, dreams, aspirations, intelligence, and conversations about all of the above. Aside from ordering at a restaurant or grocery shopping with the boyfriend, I can list on one hand the number of conversations I've had about food in the past year. And if we don't include politely listening as a friend details the menu she has planned for her wedding, what type of cake is best to serve at a birthday party, and "I'm at work in the grocery department and we're out of eggs!" I can probably count these incidents on one finger.

I'm going to do quick little experiment and grab my phone to see my most recent text conversations.

  • Boyfriend and I discussing how our cats are going to get along when we're all living together in a month (Follow that saga here: Jerk Tips For Cats)
  • Teasing work friend about a customer who obviously has a crush on her
  • Mom saying she may have to go out of town
  • Work friend asking me to go over to her place to hang out
  • Close friend and I making plans to hang out today
  • "Hey, Marty, let's write a horror movie together!"
  • Social commentary on the lower-class area we were driving through
  • Friday the 13th!
  • Harry Potter
So, am I doing being fat wrong? None of these conversations were about "Eat all the food!" Yet, Melissa McCarthy, that beautiful, funny woman, keeps perpetuating that stereotype. And it's such a stupid stereotype! I don't know about the rest of you larger ladies, but I find it demeaning. "Oh, you're larger in stature? You must do nothing but eat! I mean, even if you take short breaks from eating, you must think about food all the time!" Yeah...I'm also a woman. That doesn't mean I spend all of my time either menstruating or thinking/talking about menstruating. (And yes, what just happened in my head is an imaginary 30 Rock bit in which Jenna Maroney, playing the Overly Confident Morbidly Obese Woman, is eating a sandwich, whilst saying "I like brownies! I can eat more brownies than you! Me want fooooood! Oh no! My period!") 

I'm a person. I have a job. I have dreams, some of them about having a better job. I go out with my friends. I like taking my dog for long walks. I am deeply in love with a man with whom I get physical. When I'm not recovering from ankle surgery, I really enjoy going to the gym. Do I eat? Sure. Is that the main focus of my life? No. And I find it really offensive when people assume it is. So Melissa, you beautiful, funny lady, please stop a stereotype fat moron who only talks about food and farts. You're better than that.

Now, I'm going to go find my favorite James Corden interview on The Graham Norton Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment