Wednesday, January 15, 2014

WHY IS LEIGH WHANNELL IN MY HEAD?!

Holy fucking fuck (sorry, Mom, it's one of those revelations though).

Has anybody bothered to read this blog from the beginning? Basically the origin of it was I watched Insidious, which kind of threw me because a scene towards the end mirrored a recurring nightmare I had as a child very well. That nightmare, and the similarity to a particular scene in Insidious, is detailed here: http://insmonibabble.blogspot.com/2013/12/ghosts-in-shower.html. (Don't worry, it is mostly spoiler free and only refers to a scene that is kind of inevitable from the description of the film and only in the broadest of terms.)

Tonight, I watched Insidious Chapter Two. Overall, I genuinely think the sequel was a lot better than the original. And I did like most of the first film, the ending just got a little out of hand for my tastes. I find James Wan's directing to be just mind-blowingly good and genuinely scary. Saw is the only movie I've ever seen that has truly frightened me on a lasting level (I'll tell that story here some time). I rewatched The Conjuring last night and still have the high opinion of it that I had in the cinema (some small issues, but I'm speaking generally here). Basically, lots of good stuff in the sequel, but not quite enough Patrick Wilson foxy-ing up my screen. Usually not the type of guy I find super attractive, but something about that man...

ANYWAY! Here comes the bit that could be slightly spoiler-ish, but again I intend to speak in broad terms and I don't think what I reveal will ruin the movie for anybody who, like me, waits ages to see movies and hasn't seen it yet. This is your warning. If you want to watch this movie and go into with less knowledge than you'd catch in your average trailer, close this now.

Still reading? Last chance.

At one point, Patrick Wilson makes an uncomfortable face, then reaches into his mouth and removes one of his own teeth that has just sporadically fallen out. That's it. End spoiler. Aren't you happy I gave you all of those warnings and that you kept reading?

The dream about my teeth falling out lasted much longer than the ghosts in the shower. I don't recall when the ghosts in the shower dream stopped happening, but I had the teeth falling out dream well into college. Maybe a little beyond. And it was pretty much exactly how Patrick Wilson portrayed the experience (a little less sexy, perhaps). Uncomfortable, mouth hurts, shit, something's wrong, what's back here, oh, it's a tooth.

"But Roz, everyone has that dream!" (I think.) Well, good. That knowledge makes me less convinced that Leigh Whannell just IS THE AUTHOR OF MY CHILDHOOD NIGHTMARES!

No comments:

Post a Comment