Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Bunny Says Go Do the Laundry!

Happy Easter, to those of you who celebrate. I don't, so I find it quite strange that I'm about to post a second Easter-related entry.

My mother is a really fun, intelligent, creative person. She loved having children, because she got to do these neat, fun, creative things. My sister, Liza, is four years older than me. One year when we very young, probably 2 and 6, my sister asked for a new radio for Easter. My mom organized a scavenger hunt. She wrote clues on index cards and hid the index cards around the house and yard.

Mom handed Liza the first card, which instructed her to go out to the see-saw. The card at the see-saw instructed her to check under her pillow. The card under her pillow sent her to the backyard again to check the tire swing. Then back inside to the bread box. Then back outside to the playhouse. Then back inside. Back outside. Inside. Outside. Liza ran back and forth for over an hour, until she got a clue that instructed her to go to the basement. The final card read "You've reached the end of the scavenger hunt. The Easter Bunny left you this present." And there was a chocolate-covered raisin, sitting on top of the card.

Liza burst into tears and started bawling, "The Easter Bunny left me a turd!"

My mom, trying to not give it away, said "Turn the card over."

"NOOOOO! The Easter Bunny hates me! He made me run back and forth for over an hour, and all he left me was a bunny turd!"

"Honey, it's okay. Just turn the card over."

It took some convincing, but my mom finally got my sister to turn the card over. On the back was written "Now go do the laundry."

"WHY DOES THE EASTER BUNNY HATE ME SO MUCH?! I ALREADY RAN BACK AND FORTH AND ALL HE LEFT ME WAS A TURD! NOW I HAVE TO DO CHORES FOR HIM?!"

My mom hugged my sister, trying to calm her down, then said "Honey, do what the Easter Bunny says."

"NO!"

So my mom took my sister's hand and led her to the laundry room. Liza, still bawling, needed a lot of convincing to lift the lid of the washing machine, but her tune quickly changed.

"MY RADIO!"

Yep. My mom had hidden her radio in the empty washing machine. However, she did not play that particular game with us on any other Easter. And I know what Mom's getting for Christmas this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment